If you own a family farm or ranch in the Grand Forks, North Dakota area you likely understand the importance of creating a well thought out estate plan early on to ensure that your family farm or ranch makes a successful transition to the next generation. Because we understand the difficulty you may have finding reliable, trustworthy, and helpful community resources to help you plan your estate, we have put some together for you that may help you find much needed services, advice, and support.
Emergency number are always important to have handy because farming and ranching are inherently rough occupations.
- Grand Forks Police Dept. – Emergency #911 – Non-Emergency – 701-787-8000
- Grand Forks Sheriff Department – 701-780-8280
- North Dakota Poison Control– 1-800-222-1222
It also never hurts to have contact information handy for area hospitals. Altru offers several excellent specialty centers in the Grand Forks, North Dakota area, including:
- Altru Specialty Center – Altru offers a number of specialized services that cater to issues the elderly often face such as joint replacement, orthopedics, a sleep center, and radiology.
- Altru Health Center – Offers everything from a family birthing center to a cancer treatment center.
If you are a farmer or rancher, the idea of needing nursing home care may not sit well with you; however, the time may come when you, or your spouse, need the benefits offered by a long-term care facility. The following nursing homes in the Grand Forks area offer nursing home, transitional living, and long-term care:
Many people choose to add a funeral planning component to their comprehensive estate plan for two reasons. First, it ensures that your wishes with regard to service and burial options will be honored. Second, it removes the pressure on your loved ones to make difficult decisions during a time when they are grieving your loss. The following funeral homes serve the Grand Forks, North Dakota community:
- Amundson Funeral Home – 701-772-7070 – Amundson promises to “lighten the burden of those who have lost a loved one.”
- The Historic Normal Funeral Home – 701-746-4337 – the folks at Norman’s are “dedicated to providing compassionate and dignified funeral service to the families of Grand Forks, ND, East Grand Forks, MN and the surrounding area.”
- Dahl Funeral Home – 218-773-2971 – Dahl is dedicated to “providing services to the families of the East Grand Forks and Grand Forks area with care and compassion.”
Assistance for Farmers and Ranchers
- Farm Rescue – 701-252-2017 – Farm Rescue is a “nonprofit organization that provides planting, harvesting and haying assistance free of charge to family farmers who have suffered a major injury, illness or natural disaster.”
- North Dakota Farm Bureau – 701-298-2200 – organization of farmers that offers benefits for members on merchandise and services at a wide variety of stores.
- U.S. Department of Agriculture, Farm Service Agency – 202-720-3865 – the agency’s mission is “to assist North Dakota’s farmers and ranchers secure the greatest possible benefit from programs administered by FSA such as farm loans, commodity price support, disaster relief, conservation, and other available resources.”
- USDA, Natural Resources Conservation Service – 701- 530-2000 – offers financial and technical assistance to help manage natural resources in a sustainable manner.
- Rural Health Information Hub — 800-270-1898 — a national clearinghouse on rural health issues that is committed to supporting healthcare and population health in rural communities.
- Farm Aid Grants Program – funds family farm and rural service organizations through its annual grant program.
- North Dakota Department of Agriculture Waterbank Program – 701-328-2231 – provides technical assistance and financial relief to those with inundated agricultural lands, as well as keep present water bodies stored to benefit wildlife, pollinators, and sportsmen of North Dakota.
General Assistance and Outreach
Additional resources for anyone in the Grand Forks area include:
Contact a North Dakota Estate Planning Attorney for Further Assistance
If you are a family farmer or rancher in the Grand Forks, North Dakota area, please contact the experienced estate planning attorneys at German Law Group for assistance with your estate planning needs by calling 701-738-0060 to schedule an appointment.